Council on Ministry
For the proper care and feeding of pastors and churches.
The SDB Council on Ministry consists of five members (5-year staggered terms) elected by the delegates to Conference Week each year. The work of the SDB Council on Ministry is divided into two areas: Pastoral/Church Services and Church Development and they serve as an advisory board to the Director of Church Development & Pastoral Services.
Purpose of the Council on Ministry
The purpose of the SDB Council on Ministry is to develop healthy leaders and healthy churches for the SDB General Conference. It will do that through connecting and resourcing leaders and churches for the work of actively advancing God’s Kingdom. .
Pastoral/Church Services Purposes
- Provide encouragement and guidance for those who are considering church leadership.
- Provide for camaraderie, knowledge-sharing, mentoring and mutual support among pastors.
- Consult with churches without pastors and pastors without churches.
- Assist churches and pastors in the licensing, ordination, accreditation, and endorsement processes.
- Provide programs and resources that result in healthy leaders and healthy churches.
Church Development Purposes
- Counsel with pastors and churches in conflict.
- Encourage our churches to examine themselves for health.
- Encourage our churches to participate in the work of starting new churches.
- Provide new contacts with information about SDBs.
- Assist churches who wish to identify as SDB with tools and resources to join the Conference.
- Provide resources to churches and/or leaders who wish to start or revitalize SDB churches.
You may contact the Director of Church Development & Pastoral Services if you have questions or feedback concerning this area of SDB General Conference ministry.
Meet the Director: Rev. John Pethtel
Rev. John Pethtel currently serves in multiple roles for the SDB General Conference. His titles include Director of Church Development, Director of Pastoral Services, Conferences Coordinator, and Crisis Management Officer. He is also currently serving as the Vice President for North America for the SDB World Federation.
Pastor John has served in pastoral ministry for almost 20 years with service in WV, MD, MI, GA, and CO as well as trips to Brazil, Jamaica, and Ethiopia.
He is a graduate of Salem International University (formerly Salem College) in Salem, WV with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Management of Not-for-Profit Organizations (and multiple minors); Capital Bible Seminary (now part of Lancaster Bible College) in Greenbelt, MD with a Graduate Certificate in Theology; Denver Seminary in Littleton, CO with a Master of Divinity degree (emphasis in Philosophy of Religion & Theology); and is currently ABD in his pursuit of a Doctor of Ministry from Denver Seminary in Executive Leadership of Church and Parachurch Organizations.
John lives in Colorado Springs, CO. He and his wife Tabatha have two children.
Rev. John Pethtel